- Full Time/Contract
- Orange, CA
Our client is a prominent and renowned University Health System committed to providing the highest quality healthcare to Orange County and surrounding communities through its Medical Center and world-class physicians, surgeons and clinical staff.
Medical Coder (CPC) – Patient Records Abstractor
Under the general supervision of the Billing Manager, the Certified Coder independently performs highly complex and detailed coding for all inpatient and out-patient services, procedures and surgeries billed by the Physician Billing Group. Provides assistance to other staff including physicians with coding issues that extend from dictated reports, which include H&P, written ER reports, chart notes, procedures, clinic notes and encounter forms, error billing reports and various other sources. Coding is to be done to maximize reimbursement, and in compliance with University, Medicare, HCFA, Commercial insurance and all other related entities? strict guidelines and policies.
- Extensive working knowledge of ICD9CM, CPT and modifier coding systems and tools.
- Ability to effectively and accurately extract, create, verify and or support appropriate CPT codes from dictations, reports or encounter forms leading to an timely collections of billing in a compliant method.
- Skill, Knowledge and ability to exercise a sound professional coding judgment consistent with government and private payer requirements to ensure all codes/ modifiers are appropriate and assure maximum reimbursement.
- Demonstrated high level of reading and comprehension skills
- Ability to sit and code for a prolonged period of time during the day
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology
- Extensive knowledge of anatomy and physiology
- Effective use with medical record information to ascertain appropriate billing codes
- Knowledge of 3rd party payers and government regulations and compliance programs to assist collectors with coding questions/issues
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently with minimal supervision, combined with initiative to system improvement
- Demonstrated possession of good organizational skills, while maintaining flexibility to respond to changing priorities
- Demonstrated skill/experience working with computerized reports to abstract information.
- Ability to interact in a professional and diplomatic manner with conflicting perspectives
- Possess the skill to read and comprehend documents and takes appropriate action.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills to effectively develop communications to various stakeholders
- Skills to organize and prioritize workload coordinate multiple assignments simultaneously to meet and complete conflicting deadlines.
- Ability to maintain work standards and productivity standards set by the department
- Effective interpersonal and professional communication skills to interact with staff, vendor and client in a diplomatic manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with only general supervision.
- Ability to analyze coding/denial and or system data to effectively implement problem solving skills Ability to prioritize and work proficiently with multi-tasks as assigned by management
- Demonstrated skill/experience in medical professional fee billing to include Medi-Cal, Medicare, MSI, Champus and commercial insurance carriers
- Basic accounting knowledge to understand credits debits and the ability to accurately audit patient ledgers.
- Accurate typing and proofreading skills
- Filing and record keeping skills.
- Ability to read and understand difficult to read writing in medical records to decipher appropriate CPT/ICD-9/Modifier codes.
- User level experience with PC and MS Office applications, e.g.) Word, Excel, Outlook
- Possess Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Certification
- Knowledge of Client/IDX Billing Systems, Encoder, Quest, TDS, Invision, RadNet,CodeRyte, experience is highly preferred
- Two years of college work or Associates Degree
Commensurate with Experience
Monday – Friday (days)
Full Time / Contract Position